2017 List of Neighborhood Garage Sales in Madison WI
Published on March 29th, 2017
By Jennifer Oppriecht
Here is our annual list of Madison Neighborhood Garage Sales in Madison, WI – updated for 2017! Spring-time is nearly upon us (at least we hope and pray it is), and it’s the time of the year when rummage sales in Madison pop up like dandelions. For renters, this is the time to stretch your dollars even further and find some killer decorating deals for your apartments.
In this post, you’ll find:
- A listing of community-wide rummage sales
- Things to avoid buying at rummage sales
- Tips for how to make your rummaging worthwhile
- Ideas about how to repurpose “junk” into useful items for your apartment.
A word to the wise: These neighborhood-organized rummage-o-ramas are usually the best time to find bargains. You’ll get the most exposure to the best (and yes, the worst) Madison has to offer.
DOES THIS LIST INCLUDE GARAGE SALES IN MY AREA?
It sure does! This listing is as exhaustive as we could possibly make it, but if we missed a neighbor (all of Dane County is fair game), be sure to leave it in a comment at the end of the post.
If you’re planning on selling something in one of the rummage sales listed below, please retweet or post this listing to Facebook. Help us get the word out!
Madison Garage Sales near me
GARAGE SALES IN MADISON WI:
Black Earth: 4/22-4/23
Cambridge: Please help us find!
Cottage Grove: 8/5-8/7
Cross Plains: 5/6-5/7
Dane Re-Buy Local: 8/6
Middleton: Please help us find!
Monona: Lil Badger Consignment Sale 4/6-4/8
Mt. Horeb: 4/29-4/30
Sun Prairie: 4/28-4/30
Verona City-Wide Sales: 5/8
MADISON WI GARAGE SALES BY NEIGHBORHOOD
Sunset Village: 7/28-7/29
Marquette Neighborhood: Please help us find!
Bay Creek: Please help us find!
Hawks Landing: 5/18-5/20
High Point Estates: 5/11-5/13
Junction Ridge:Please help us find!
Linden Park: Please help us find!
Memorial High School: 4/22
Midvale Heights: 9/1-9/2
University Hill Farms: Please help us find!
Emerson East: 6/3
Glendale: Please help us find!
Richmond Hill: 6-1 – 6/3
Tenney-Lapham: TBD – sometime in August!
Heritage Heights: Please help us find!
Outlying Wisconsin Cities – Complete Listing! – A nice compilation of community wide rummage sales throughout Wisconsin!
Individual Yard Sale Searches – The deals are in the details! Check out these individual postings.
Things to Avoid Buying at a Madison Garage Sale
Be careful: Some items that look like a great deal may have safety issues and should no longer be used. Here is a list of top items for most Madison renters we found in a great post 21 Things You Should Never Buy at Garage Sales:
- Bike helmets
- Car seats or other types of baby furniture
- Bathing suits (ew)
- Mattresses (beware the bed bugs)
- Electronics – especially computers
- Sheets, pillowcases (again, more bed bugs)
- Old, worn-out plates, pots or pans
- DVDs (scratches)
- Fragrances or makeup
think you can’t make millions at a madison garage sale? think again.
Check out this video to see some of the most financially lucrative finds at garage sales. Uncover one of these treasures and you should be able to cover rent for a month or two!
How to Make It An Effective Madison Yard Sale Trip
A couple pointers to keep in mind as you head out:
- Make sure you get an early start. The early birds gets the goodies first.
- Carry cash and plenty of small bills. Change can be hard to come by.
- Plan your route ahead of time. If you’re hitting multiple sales on the same day, plot your course. You don’t want to spend time driving all over the place.
- Haggle like crazy. You can always get a better price.
- If it doesn’t work and you’re not a handy-person – pass. You’ll just be buying junk for your own future rummage sale.
- Be creative. Thing of new ways to use items, such as these ideas we found on Pinterest:
Rummage sales are a cost-effective way to enhance your digs. They’ll help you save cash, and perhaps allow you to spend a little more on your next rental! Check out our rent-budgeting worksheet to see how much you can truly afford!